The Irish Palliative Medicine Consultant’s Association (IPMCA) is the official association for consultants in palliative medicine in the Republic of Ireland.
The aims of the Association are to:
• Promote the appropriate development of specialist palliative care services in the Republic of Ireland and to provide medical leadership to these services;
• Promote medical education and research appropriate to palliative medicine;
• Act as the formal representative body for consultants in palliative medicine in the Republic of Ireland;
• Provide a supportive and advisory forum for new and existing consultants in palliative medicine in the Republic of Ireland.
Officers of the IPMCA for 2013 - 2014:
Chairperson: Dr Brian Creedon.
Vice-Chairperson: Dr Feargal Twomey
Secretary/Treasurer: Dr Lucy Balding
Palliative care is an approach that improves the quality of life of patients and their
families facing the problems associated with life-threatening illness, through the
prevention and relief of suffering by means of early identification and impeccable
assessment and treatment of pain and other problems, physical, psychosocial and spiritual.
• Provides relief from pain and other distressing symptoms;
• Affirms life and regards dying as a normal process;
• Intends neither to hasten or postpone death;
• Integrates the psychological and spiritual aspects of patient care;
• Offers a support system to help patients live as actively as possible until death;
• Offers a support system to help the family cope during the patients illness and in their own bereavement;
• Uses a team approach to address the needs of patients and their families, including bereave¬ment counselling, if indicated;
• Will enhance quality of life, and may also positively influence the course of illness;
• Is applicable early in the course of illness, in conjunction with other therapies that are intend¬ed to prolong life, such as chemotherapy or radiation therapy, and includes those investiga-tions needed to better understand and manage distressing clinical complications.
The Irish Association for Palliative Care: www.iapc.ie
The All Ireland Institute of Hospice and Palliative Care: www.aiihpc.org
The HSE National Clinical Programme for Palliative care: www.hse.ie
The European Association for Palliative Care: www.eapcnet.eu
The Association for Palliative Medicine of Great Britain and Ireland: www.apmonline.org